Pay Per Click advertising is not exactly rocket science, but you need to have your wits about you or you end up burning your cash with little reward. Having said that, if you can get the management and set up right, PPC can really make a difference to you business.
Google data shows, that those clicking the paid ads, ‘need to fulfill a commercial requirement’. In other words, they need to get things done, so a PPC strategy is pretty vital for any lead generation activity.
I have come across hundreds of customers, who have not received any value from their Adwords account, in fact some businesses will loose money. In 90% of cases the reasons why a Google Adwords campaign has been a waste of time is that it has been poorly managed.
Below are the most the common mistakes:
- Very limited or none at all negative keywords are being used. Negative key words help block out the key words that don’t relate to your business. For example if you are a boutique hotel, you don’t want the key words “cheap places to stay” or ‘budget accommodation’ within the Ad Groups and no negative keywords are being used at campaign level which may result in clicks for unwanted search phrases.
- Ads are showing up for irrelevant search phrases which is resulting in wasted spend. Adding negative keywords will stop your Ad’s from being triggered for these related search terms and help refine the traffic.
- There should at least be 3 per Ad Group to take advantage of Google’s ad rotation system. Test different type of hooks, whether it is a free consultation, 10% OFF, or money back guarantee. This way you can understand and utilise what is the best marketing technique for your business.
- Campaign should be broken down into tightly themed groups of keywords to target and/or attract higher quality traffic.
- What is very common mistake is a number of keywords are being targeted that have low search volume. Underperforming keywords may have a detrimental effect on the campaign. Depending on the industry, you should be looking for key phrases that have been searched 1,000 (plus) times per month.
- You need to refine search traffic, the more targeted the more effective your campaign, use Keyword match types to do this.
- Some keywords are at number 4 or lower on the list, you should be aiming for the top 3 positions as these are the most clicked Ad’s
- You must measure. Conversion tracking code should be tracking any web form submissions, therefore the account cannot be optimised as efficiently. If you receive a new business calls you make sure you ask the customers where they found your business. You need to account for your PPC spend, otherwise it is not worth doing.